Wednesday, November 14, 2007

At it's best this camp is forbidding to new arrivals.

I want to like this place. I really do. But I can't.

I moved to Wethersfield about eight years ago and have been visiting the Old Town Tavern on and off since then. Beers are cheap. A Bud used to be $1.85. They remodeled a bit (but it's still a dive) and the Buds are up to $2.50. Yeah, you can't really get anything fancier than a shot or a beer. AFAIK, they don't carry any sour mix or vermouth. But that's not the problem.

It's a townie place. Every time I go there it's pretty much the same folks sitting in the same seats. And they've all known each other since the third grade. And they put crappy music in that internet jukebox. It's tough to get accepted into a culture like that. The funny thing is that the place is in the snooty Old Wethersfield part of town but it is populated by the type of folks that wouldn't quite fit in with the insurance execs that live around that neighborhood.

I went there the other nite to catch UConn on ESPNU (basketball this time.) At least they had it unlike the Airport Road. But while I was waiting, I wanted to put some music on. If a song is already downloaded into the system, it's only 50 cents, but it cost a buck if it wasn't. I had a hankering for some "Screenwriters Blues" by Soul Coughing, but it wasn't even available. So six Bud Lights, when you factor in tip and music, came to @ $30 anyways. Makes it a tough place for a mixanthropologist to do a field study.

BTW, it's right down the street from someplace where George Washington met General Rochambeau to discuss some strategy during the American Revolution. The graffiti on the men's room wall dates back to those days.

No comments: