Thursday, November 15, 2007

O'Leary's Pub and Eatery

Who plays the jukebox during a game? O'Leary's does, that's who. I was trying to watch UConn play Gardner Webb while listening to the strains of "Dude Looks Like a Lady" and some other crap. Granted, the game was a blowout, but how many times do college hoops teams play a year?

In any case, there used to be a bar in Rocky Hill which I liked called the Arch. But they tore that down about a year ago. There was another one called The Office. I never set foot in the place, but one of my brothers told me that it was a dive of the lowest order. The owners bought an old Bickford's that shut down, moved their operation there and called it O'Leary's. The Office crowd came over, too. This bunch of oxygen thiefs remind me of the cast from Idiocracy. Ow! My balls! I have a buddy that gets his mail at a shot & beer hole in the wall. He didn't feel safe when I brought him there.

I grabbed a $2.75 Bud Light. I could've had a Tom Collins. The gals there do know how to make them. I had one last Thursday when I swung by there around Happy Hour time. I guess that it's supposed to be a summer drink, but I was in the mood for one that day. Saw some folks from a bank that day. The rest of the crowd was arguing what kind of backhoe was better. A few days before that, I stopped by to catch the second half of the Pats-Colts game. Talked to one guy there who seemed to have his head on straight, but he and his buddy were refugees. they were looking for the Bunker (which was closed, of course) and wound up motoring down the Silas Deane until they found this place. He'd never been to O'Leary's before. They have good wings. I'm not sure if I've ever had any of there other food, but it looks appetizing.

It's a step up from the Airport Road or the Old Town, but that's like saying that Breeder's Choice tastes better than IAM's or Purina. It's still dog food and it's kinda embarassing to admit that you actually know this.

No comments: